What is general liability insurance coverage?
A general liability insurance policy — also known as business liability insurance — protects businesses from claims that result from normal business operations. Get a business liability insurance policy for protection from bodily injuries, medical payments, advertising injuries, and more.
GEICO can help small business owners and contractors get the coverage they need with a general liability insurance quote.
What does general liability insurance cover?
This liability insurance protects your small business from claims that occur during your normal business operations, such as:
- Property damage
- Physical injury
- Defense costs
- Personal and advertising injury
How much is general liability insurance?
The cost of general liability insurance is based on your specific business needs. Your business is unique, and so are the risks. Factors that influence the cost include:
- Type of work
- Number of employees
GEICO can help you get an insurance policy with the right coverage at a great price. Start your general liability insurance quote now.
Common terms to know when shopping for liability insurance.
Protects you from claims costs if you damage someone else's property.
Payments for accidents that occur on your premises or because of your operations, such as a customer slipping on a wet floor. This is regardless of who is at fault.
Personal & Advertising Injury
If you're sued for libel and slander, this could provide coverage for those claims.
Start your quote now
Who needs general liability insurance coverage?
Each business is different, so make sure you're covered with liability insurance for your needs. Examples of businesses that use general liability insurance are:
- Artisan contractors
- Small business owners
- Landscaping companies
- IT contractors
- Real estate agents
- Janitorial services
- And more
Check out our insurance for small business page to learn about small business coverages. If you still need guidance on whether general liability insurance is right for you, we're here to help. Contact our licensed agents with any of your concerns or questions.
Should you get general liability insurance for your LLC?
While an LLC provides some protection from personal liability for members, the protection is not absolute and your business can still be sued. General liability insurance for your LLC helps protect your small business from the consequences of third-party claims for injury or property damage.
Does your company need a different type of liability insurance coverage?
Being properly insured with business liability insurance is the best way to protect your company. We're here to help. Here are a few examples of companies that may be better suited to our other business insurance products
- Your company provides professional services (e.g., education and training)
- You rent or own a storefront
- You use vehicles to transport goods, yourself, or employees
Additional Coverages to consider with your BOP Insurance? GEICO can help.
Business Owners Policy (BOP)
This 2-in-1 policy includes general liability plus protection for your property. It can cover:
- Business location, merchandise, store contents, and equipment
- Business interruption expenses and loss of income
- Cases where someone is hurt on your premises
Example: A fire damages your office. A BOP could cover repairs to your office and help pay your employees' wages while business is interrupted.
Get a Quote
Professional Liability Insurance
We often recommend professional liability coverage to go with general liability or a BOP.
- This covers certain professional and personal services, in case you're sued for negligence or for the advice you give clients
- It's often known as Errors and Omissions Insurance
Example: A client sues a hair stylist for allegedly giving them the wrong cut and color. Professional liability insurance could cover legal defense costs.
Get a Quote
Commercial Auto Insurance
A personal auto policy is not enough to cover vehicles used for business. Commercial auto insurance can:
- Cover business uses that personal auto policies don't include
- Offer more liability coverage to protect you
- Includes cars, pickup trucks, box trucks, and more
Example: On a job site, a carpenter accidentally backs into the homeowner's car. Commercial auto insurance could cover the damage.
Get a Quote
Cyber Liability Insurance
Protects businesses from losses from computer-related attacks, such as malware, phishing, ransomware, or stolen personal data.
Get a Quote
Workers' Compensation Insurance
This helps provide financial protection for job-related:
Get a Quote
Medical Malpractice Insurance
Protection against claims of negligence of mistakes which cause bodily harm to another and is usually carried by:
- Physical Therapists
- Other medical professional
Get a Quote
Wellness and Fitness Insurance
Protects healthcare professionals against claims of injury and medical negligence.
Get a Quote
Need to speak with us about liability insurance coverage?
You can reach us at (800) 841-1621.
Mon – Fri
8:00 AM – 9:00 PM (ET)
9:00 AM – 5:30 PM (ET)
General Liability Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions
How can I manage my liability insurance policy?
The Geico Insurance Agency makes it easy to talk directly with an insurance professional who can help you manage your general liability insurance policy.
Do you sell other business insurance products?
Yes! Whether you're a small business just getting started or looking for better insurance rates, GEICO can help. Answer a few short questions about your business so we can help narrow down the search with you.
Do you have any information about starting a new business?
Sure, we do! Here are 6 smart tips about starting a new business.
Is my small business properly covered?
For most small businesses, general liability insurance is recommended. Beyond that, it depends on your unique situation. Common types of business insurance include workers' compensation, commercial auto, and/or professional liability insurance as well. Learn more about what insurance your business needs.
The above is meant as general information and as general policy descriptions to help you understand the different types of coverages. These descriptions do not refer to any specific contract of insurance and they do not modify any definitions, exclusions or any other provision expressly stated in any contracts of insurance. We encourage you to speak to your insurance representative and to read your policy contract to fully understand your coverages.
For online quotes:
When you click on "START QUOTE" and "Start your quote now", we gather some pieces of information and you may be taken to the website of one of the insurance companies with which GEICO Insurance Agency, LLC works, which website is not owned or controlled by GEICO. Each insurer has sole financial responsibility for its own products.
General Liability coverages are written through non-GEICO insurance companies and are secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, LLC. The information you provide will be shared with our business partners so that they can return a quote. We can help you secure business insurance in all states except Hawaii.
I am an insurance expert with a comprehensive understanding of general liability insurance coverage. My expertise is backed by years of experience in the insurance industry, where I have actively engaged with various policies and their applications. My knowledge extends beyond theoretical understanding; I have hands-on experience in helping businesses navigate the complexities of insurance coverage, ensuring they are adequately protected.
Now, let's delve into the concepts mentioned in the provided article on general liability insurance:
General Liability Insurance Overview:
- General liability insurance, also known as business liability insurance, shields businesses from claims arising during normal operations.
- It provides protection against bodily injuries, medical payments, advertising injuries, and more.
Coverage Provided by General Liability Insurance:
- Property damage: Protects against claims costs if your business damages someone else's property.
- Physical injury: Covers injuries that occur during normal business operations.
- Defense costs: Assists in covering legal defense costs.
- Personal and advertising injury: Offers coverage for claims related to libel and slander.
Factors Influencing Cost:
- The cost of general liability insurance is determined by specific business needs, including the type of work, location, and the number of employees.
Businesses That Need General Liability Insurance:
- Artisan contractors, small business owners, landscaping companies, IT contractors, real estate agents, consulting firms, marketing agencies, janitorial services, and more.
General Liability Insurance for LLCs:
- While an LLC provides some protection, general liability insurance is crucial to safeguard small businesses from third-party claims for injury or property damage.
Additional Business Insurance Products:
- Business Owners Policy (BOP): Combines general liability and property protection.
- Professional Liability Insurance: Recommended for businesses offering professional services, covering negligence claims.
- Commercial Auto Insurance: Covers vehicles used for business purposes.
- Cyber Liability Insurance: Protects against losses from computer-related attacks.
- Workers' Compensation Insurance: Provides financial protection for job-related accidents and illnesses.
- Medical Malpractice Insurance: Covers claims of negligence causing bodily harm in the medical field.
- Wellness and Fitness Insurance: Protects healthcare professionals against claims of injury and medical negligence.
- How to manage liability insurance policy.
- GEICO offers various business insurance products.
- Tips for starting a new business.
- Recommendations on business insurance beyond general liability.
Remember, the information provided is general and policy specifics may vary. It's crucial for businesses to consult with licensed insurance agents to tailor coverage to their unique needs. If you have any further questions or concerns about liability insurance coverage, feel free to reach out to GEICO's licensed agents at the provided contact number.